Sunday, September 13, 2020

Pomegranate “Country Dog Gentlemen” by Roy De Forest

 
This Pomegranate is right up my alley - it features a painting by Roy De Forest from 1972 titled "Country Dog Gentlemen."  Knowing the time period of this work, it's not surprising that it contains a hallucination of mushrooms, amoebas, and dogs.  The box mentions De Forest as one of the original "Humorous Figuration" artists of the early 1960s.  He resided in the Bay area and taught at UC Davis from the '60s to the '80s.
 

My house has a new addition - current foster dog Carl, who may stay in our home as part of our family.  He needs a little time to settle in before we decide.  But he's getting along well with my girls and is a great playmate for Callie!  He was pulled from East Valley shelter in mid-August.  And apparently is fine posing for photos.  Meanwhile Claire and I just celebrated her 14th adoption anniversary, which means she is legitimately 15 or 16 years old, as she was fully grown when I adopted her from the Carson shelter in September of 2006.  She was recently diagnosed with kidney disease so every day with her is precious.



I received this puzzle from a local puzzle exchange group.  I couldn't believe it was complete, with no missing pieces!  We had a heat wave in California with temperatures reaching 113 degrees for about three days.  I holed up with the pups in our bedroom to conserve the air conditioning from our small window unit, and did this puzzle on my bed.  I was thankful to have something to focus on to pass the time.  It took me about two days to finish.

The finished puzzle size is 29 x 20 inches.  I'm able to find a poster frame from Wal-Mart for about twenty bucks that should fit this nicely, and so will be able to pass it along to a friend who owns a kennel. 

I love the quality of Pomegranate puzzles, both for their texture, thickness, and fit.  The pieces fit so well that it's easy to move finished sections around.  This puzzle in particular has such a range of bright colors that it was really fun to play with.  There is no copyright on the puzzle itself (though the painting is dated 1972), but looking at the Pomegranate website it seems this one is out of print, so I was lucky to get it secondhand.

No comments:

Post a Comment